Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Modernity

I am doing a rather informal testing of what people expect or want in a translation of a New Testament book. So far, what I'm finding is disappointing to me. It seems people want a somewhat antiquated rendering. When given a choice between modern English with the most current phrasing and most current syntax, and a little older style English, people opt for a little older style of English. Why? I think that sometimes people just resist change. I think sometimes people get stuck thinking that text representing something old should sound old. I found that to also be true when comparing Beowulf translations from Old English in a class of young people. I think sometimes a change in English phrasing and syntax somehow gets related to inspiration of the Bible and people don't want to update that.

When one deals with the New Testament, one deals with preconceived ideas. I find it disappointing to see a great preconception against keeping Christianity, at least where it represented by translations, from being current, modern, ever-changing, up-to-date. Disappointment doesn't necessarily dampen my desire to ever present the message in modern terms. It just makes me temporarily sad. But my Christianity is not affected. I don't answer for anyone else. So, I press on with the my vision for the modern Christian.

2 comments:

MyFathersSon said...

I would like to read one of your translations some time.

Do you happen to have one of Romans? I am going through this book in a bible study with some guys from Church. We find that context and word choice by the author, or rather translator, can determine how we interpret what we are reading.

Dwordman said...

I don't have one of Romans. A translator's word choice and surrounding context do have an influence on people's way of thinking about a passage. You have to trust the translator. Most phrasings are within a certain range, however, so nothing too outrageous should present itself.