Search This Blog

Monday, April 24, 2006

Sober parent

It's always sobering to think parenting. All I have to do is visit with my daughter to see in what areas I surley went wrong. On the other hand, there are those moments when everything said is just what needs to be said. I can't see a trajectory line when I look at my daughter to know if 30 years from now she will have "come full circle" and not be stuck in her self-centered, counter-productive activities. I know that she fights two forces, her mother's and mine, for we have left two very different examples for her to choose from. Then there's her own example that she is bent on providing for herself.

All I know is that she is on her own path, one that she to some extent will control, at least in the early going. Life will spin out of control gradually as she ages. What will her end be like? But that is not in the crystal ball for me to see. I simply ask the one who could control to nudge, cajole, coax, and give opportunity for her to stay on the path that leads her home to Him. In the meantime, it's sobering to think of parenting.

No comments: