Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

No, not this one


When I was young, I remember thinking what a great mystery the Holy Spirit was. After I had attended college a year, I remember having a long conversation with my dad about what function a spirit might have or what role (s)he would play in religion.

Over the years, of course, the Holy Spirit's function and role has become clearer. But, if I was ever in doubt at this point in my life, I wouldn't be after today. What I saw happens only in movies that are not real.

I was sitting on an interview committee for 6 grueling hours asking questions of those who wanted this particular job. The last two to interview were known to be the strongest candidates. One came in and answered every question just like you would want her to. Every answer was the classic script of the way to get a job. The second came in. The answers were simple. Yet, the answers were penetrating at the same time. The answers were born of passion in the soul for what the job was about. But, they were bare of the classic scripted answers.

Discussion ensued. It appeared that the classic answers had won the day. But there was a spirit present. The issue could not be dropped. What should we as interviewers do with a person of such deep, noticeable, wrenching passion. So, one by one, to the person, the interviewers began telling of encounters they had had with this interviewee. Although not the most articulate, no one could let go of her penetratingly simple answers that represented everything the other one had crafted so well to say with many words. The spirit would not turn loose of the right person of the job until every person clearly had dealt with why the second person should get the job over the first person. It was a 180 degree swing from the way the discussion had begun.

The setting was secular, not religious. But, the wrong person for the job was about to be selected. Someone, somehow, called to the heavens and said, "You've got to intervene." Oh yeah, the right person got the job after people's minds encountered a passionate spirit.

I will ask this interviewee if she believes in God when she is settled into her job. I plan to tell her that intervention happened on her behalf. I'm just the messenger, but I hope the news will touch her life, so that her spirituality is strenthened, and that many can be nurtured by her good and helpful spirit.

4 comments:

MyFathersSon said...

I have been reading the posts about the book As Iron Sharpens Iron. I searched for this book and found one by William Hendricks and another Hendricks. I don't think this is the book referenced in the posts.

Where can I get a copy of the book?

I am moving further away from my teenage years, but still am close enough to remember. I also have child that is approaching those years and any insight into what is to come is greatly appreciated

Dwordman said...

The book, As Iron Sharpens Iron, is available through Barnes and Nobles by order only, through Amazon.com, or through iUniverse.com, the publisher. I wrote the book, so you should see David Stanley Singleton as the author.

What piqued your interest about the book?

I had some students in an AP senior class read the book, and they were supposed to respond to some of my posts as a part of their assignment.

MyFathersSon said...

I have admired your thoughtfulness in your words for a long time. It is why I like your blog. If you wrote a book, I can only imagine that the same thoughtfulness would be applied.

Also, our families have known each other for many years.

denver

Dwordman said...

Denver,

What kind thoughts!

I hope you like the book. It is a tale of consequences. And I hope it is a tale of the influence good has on evil.

I trust all is well with you. I get a report sporadically through your father. Every once in a while I get to stop in and visit both him and your mother. So, they catch me up especially when it is their turn to keep your daughter. Take care.