Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Gracious, but true to herself


Meryl Streep puts in another very good performance.  The movie is not a complex movie of weaving the lives of many characters to form a mosaic like her movie August: Osage County, nor does she depict a character that spans a number of years to show dynamic change in a person's life like Sophie's Choice and The Devil Wears Prada.  However, she delivers in a movie that shows the strength of a static character, a mom who is needed to help her daughter in a particular situation.

She depicts a divorcee who has found her own truth in life apart from what her wealthy husband could live with.  Her interaction with each of the story's characters, mainly her biological children, shows the trials she has to face as an "outsider" to her own children.  Her children have had a hard time accepting their mother's life and dreams, so they portray their disdain for her during the entire movie except at the very end.

It is this part of the story that carries the clear and poingnant message of the movie.  In the trailer above,that message is found at 2:12-2:18.  She is at her son's wedding in the midst of a very wealthy crowd.  She lives a rather hand to mouth lifestyle, so she knows she can't participate to any monetary level worthy of this crowd.  So, she takes her participation in the wedding to an arena the others can't participate in.  She gracefully says, "I have never been a traditional mother.  But I am a musician. And I'd like to give all I have to you."

It is that last comment, "And I'd like to give all I have to you," that moves me.  I am motivated to be that gracious and giving to those I have in my circle of contact every day.  Years of practicing music made Meryl Streep very good at music.  That is what she had to offer, so she offered it.  I hope those around me see me constantly doing the same.

No comments: