Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 08, 2016

Hanging around

I hear NFL commentators use a phrase nearly every Sunday as they narrate a game that is close.  The phrase is used when a team is ahead most of the game and in the fourth quarter, the other team is still within striking distance to win.  That's when I hear, "if you let someone hang around long enough, they will beat you."


I have seen that principle happen in life more times than not.  That has made me adopt the philosophy of hanging around.  Even if I didn't think I could actually get a job or get a job I wanted, I would try to hang around to see what would happen.  That philosophy has not worked for me in the two things in life I wanted the most, but it has worked out in many other arenas of life.

The NFL has other philosophies of life worth adopting.  Another one I have adopted is that from time to time, you will lose even if you are winning more than losing or if you have a winning streak going.  Losing is part of the game, but it doesn't have to keep you from having a winning record.  But the main thing to remember in every game that is played is that if you can hang around long enough, you can beat the opposition.  I love that that is true.

No comments: