Search This Blog

Saturday, November 13, 2004

Park walks

Nearly every day I walk twice in the park near my house for a mile and a quarter each time. I look forward to these walks and am generally disappointed if I miss one of the times for some reason or another. This time started about a year ago when I was talking to God about taking my son to be with him. The walks have had healing power in that God has given me an understanding over the last year that I can trust him wholly for knowing how everything fits into the grand scheme. After a year of talking with God about my own understanding, he kindly nudged me to use the time for bringing others in prayer to him. I ask God simply to lead them home to himself. It has been amazing to me to offer people to God so that he can lead them home. I have not really acted in that capacity ever before because I had people to see, places to go. I always thought prayer time was for the infirm or elderly who had scads of time to dedicate to that sort of thing. Certainly I was exempt because I was searching for God in other ways or working hard to present my own children to God through much activity. Nowadays the park walk keeps me going. It gives me good health. It gives me time to say, "Lead me home" to the maker of all. Meeting God in a park walk - nearly every day - has envigorated an otherwise mundane existence. At 20, I would have said, "You're crazy. I don't meet God in parks." At 30, I would have said, "I will raise my children for you by taking them everywhere. At 40, I would have said, "I will be glad to promote God through my own success." At 51, I say, "I look foward to meeting God in the park. The most comfortable I've ever been in my faith is in the park - asking God to lead people home. So be it.

No comments: