Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The affairs of the block I live on

The neighbors surrounding my house are a motley crew. The people on one side of me live day to day with a menial job in today's society's view. As far as I can tell they have no church affiliation. The lady across the street from them is an old maid. She was moved in by her daughter from out of state. She rarely comes out of her house. One never knows whether she is home or not because she always keeps her car in her garage. She apparently has no religious affiliation. The couple directly across from me are Mormons, very active ones. They are the kindest people you will meet and are hard workers in their yard and in their church. They have tried sharing their faith over the years several times. The people next to them are raising two children. The father is a hard worker and an alcoholic. The son inherited his father's party spirit. The mother is so nice and tries to be sociable with her neighbors. The man next to me is on hospice. His sight left him several years back. I haven't seen him in about 2 years, but I visit with his children when they come to see him. He's Methodist, but has not gone to a church building in the 12 years of my living on this block.

It's quite a state of affairs on this block I live on. People are doing what it takes to stay alive and put food on the table. But, I don't know any of these people very well although we are all nice to each other if the occasional yard visit is the measuring stick. I know the Great Teacher moved around a lot when he taught. He would go through the cities of a region teaching. I don't know how he would have gotten his message out if he had lived in my neighborhood. I do know however, that one of his teachings works in any neighborhood. "Whatever you would like people to do for you is what you should do for them." It has worked in neighborhoods for a couple of thousand years. I don't see it failing now or failing me when I enact it. It's a phenomenal, supernatural teaching.

No comments: