Search This Blog

Monday, February 12, 2007

A decade in the life of ...

"What a difference a year makes" is a common expression. One can imagine what a difference a decade makes. I have lived at my current residence for 12 years. My neighbor to my left housed a couple who were in their 70s. The man there died after 3 years after we moved in. His wife died last spring. Now a whole new family lives there. The man and his wife across the street from them and diagonal to me took care of his wife for 5 years after we moved in. I saw her only once before she died. The man lived in his house for 3 years after that, moved to his daughter's house in another state and died about 2 years after that. Another person lives in that house now, but it stood vacant for at least a year. The people directly across the street had two children at home in high school when we first moved here. They're now long gone and married. The neighbor and his wife on the other side of me have had their share of difficulties. He grew blind within 7 years of our moving here. His mind also has been deteriorating over the last three years. His wife has been making monumental efforts at watching after him. But, she died last week, and he was put in the care of hospice.

Oh! My household? We are not untouched. Both of my kids were in grade school when we moved here. Now both are out of school. My son graduated only to break out with cancer and die at age 19. My daughter has been seeing a phsychiatrist and/or a psychologist ever since. My wife was a practicing alcohlic for all but the last 3 years in this house, but has since lived each day that comes her way as a sober alcoholic. My father died 3 years ago 8 days before my son did after a cognitive illness of 11 months.

And that's just me and the block I live on. Multiply this times about 6 billion people on the earth. What does it take to be the Creator of heaven and earth? I have no idea. But, somehow he shows that he cares about me. He sends encouragements amidst hardships. He inspires determination and commitment. I am thankful that somehow he cares about me and the block I live on. Not in his spare time. And not with just me and my block people. I truly have great respect for the way he handles everybody's business in the whole world. It's supernatural.

No comments: