Search This Blog

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Blabbing the superficialities of God's generosity

I am going to dedicate the blogspot for at least the next week to meanderings about the characteristics of the followers of Jesus that I found to be outstanding in the account from Mark. I found 9 characteristics. Today's discussion is on characteristic # 6.

Characteristic 6: (S)He can see the wisdom of internalizing what God has done for him or her so that every person experiences God in his or her own way.

Representative sample from Mark: “What about you?” he asked them. “Who do you say I am?”
Peter answered, “You are the Messiah.” Then Jesus ordered them, “Do not tell anyone about me.” (Mark 8.29-30)

Other textual support for characteristic:1.34, 3.12, 7.36, 8.26, 8.30,
Fact from Mark: In 58% of the healing episodes, Jesus tells the ones healed not to say anything.

In my teens, as I became familiar with the gospel of Mark, I often wondered why Jesus told those he healed or cast demons from not to tell anyone else. It seemed that the people would be excited enough to tell others what Jesus had done for them and that Jesus should have appreciated the spread of his gospel. Later, in college, I thought that Jesus knew the state of people's minds well enough to create the reverse phsychological effect. Later, I just thought there would be a day that I would understand the dynamic, but the day never came for 20 years.

Then the day came. I was asked to analyze Mark for the outstanding characteristics of the followers of Jesus. Again, it stood out that Jesus told those he healed not to tell others. It bothered me since Jesus told those he healed to keep quiet in 58% of the recorded stories of his healing. I started with my childhood idea. But, that idea was wrong because Jesus' stated mission was to preach his message (characteristic #1). And I strongly believe the idea from my college years is wrong because it seems that reverse psychology for manipulative purposes of individuals is a game, and Jesus did not come to play mind games with people. So, I had to look elsewhere.

It dawned on me that anything meaningful in life really has to be discovered before it can be fully internalized. Even if someone else "discovers" some miracle of God, some realization for me, that is, a miracle or realization happened to me because of someone else's goodwill toward me (not my discovery), the meaning would still have to be internalized. If I am busy telling everyone about the miracle or realization, it encourages all manner of remarks from others on whether it was from God or not. I need to let the miracle wash over me. I need to internalize the generosity of God. I need to know to the deepest fiber that Jesus is the Son of God. I need to know I have no control nor have I created any good reason (such as a good life) for the miracle or realization to have happened. I need time with the Maker of Heaven and Earth to give thanks and to be overwhelmed that he considered me, a tiny speck in the universe of his. Then, I can go in power because God can use me.

Placing faith in Jesus calls for us to look at Jesus' other-worldy nature. It calls for us to trust that he represents the Maker of all. It takes a little time to award that trust to someone. It takes time to internalize what God has done for us. If we go in power later, it takes internalization now, not blabbing the superficialities of God's generosity to everyone and their dogs. Otherwise, our story is shallow both for us and for the one to whom we are talking. Instead, I need to spend the time being overwhelmed because God has shortened the discovery process for me. As the evangelist Landon Saunders used to say, "First tell his story. Then tell your story." The other order is out of order. It lacks power. It focuses on the wrong person. This is the Maker's world.

No comments: