Search This Blog

Saturday, May 12, 2007

A clue to people's intentions

Some languages use tone to distinguish meanings of words while others use tone to add to the semantic domain of a word. I used to have to deal with someone who would drink to get drunk. Always, the tone of voice would get louder and the denials that any loudness was happening accompanied any commentary that this was the truth. Loud tones are obnoxious to the sensibilities, but they do show where someone is placing the bulk of their intentions with a statement.



It works somewhat like people who would like to project an image of themselves through added accoutrements to their clothing. In the picture above, the wings and the halo make all the difference. Without them, the picture would convey a whole other idea.

It's no different with words and tone. Placement of tone arranges one's idea of what has just been said. For example, I don't need any of your advice can have several meanings. Watch the change in italicized words for a shift in the meaning.

I don't need any of your advice.
I don't need any of your advice.
I don't need any of your advice.
I don't need any of your advice.

All of the above tonal changes show where the emphasis is. So whenever, two people speak, it is always important to note the tonal nature of a statement. The person speaking will probably deny whatever tonal qualities one may point out to him or her. But, the listener will always know where speaker stands.

Tone placement is only a part of the prosody of a language. But, it is an important part of a language because tone carries meaning in addition to the meanings of the words used. It hints at intentions, which people will and can lie about frequently. A person has to stay on his toes sometimes to remember to listen to the prosody of the language being used. But it's worth the extra alertness. He will always be aware of others' intentions and act accordingly.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is something i leared in about 7th grade but with the phrase, "i didnt say you were wrong". with every word in that one, the meaning could be changed. i get your point and know what your saying, but the little sneaky thing you have going is the total opposite of what i learned it as. i know just a few times in my life time i have been MISunderstood for me saying something wrong like that or something comming out to fast or not really knowing were the imphasis should have been used. i think it should more likely be taught for good speech purposes rather then trying to analyze someones meaning. i think you can know it very clearly without it.

Esmeralda said...

I guess it's just like my mom used to always say, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it." How true this is! I can't even count how many times my tone has conveyed a completely different meaning to what I was actually saying. This has gotten me into trouble with my parents, into spats with my friends, and into arguments with complete strangers. It's also true that you can say more with silence than you can ever say with words. Then again sometimes this helps you in a kind of sneaky way. Sometimes you can say no, without actually having to say no. Like sometimes my parents will invite to do things or go places that i don't want to do or go, and I'll feel bad to say no. So when they ask, I'll respond yeaahhh I'll go. Then they'll say i dont have to and I'm off the hook without looking like the bad guy! It's not WHAT you say, it's HOW you say it.

Dwordman said...

Believe it or not the field of linguistics covers both written and spoken analysis. The first is called text analysis, the second, conversation analysis. They have been some of the most illuminating courses I have ever taken. And although people have a good general idea of what is said through tone, putting what is said under the microscope reveals much more. Court cases have been won by a linguist analyzing what has been said exactly. If jurors are left to their own understanding, sometimes a different conclusion is reached. If either of you is a movie-goer, then you know that you understand the movie by seeing it a third, fourth, or fifth time than you do if you only watch the movie once.

lari said...

Yeah! I've noticed that on movies! You take a little saying one way the one time you watch a movie...but after you see it a couple of more times you realize that it can have a totally different meaning! i Never thought that this would be associated with it! You really do have to watch a movie more times than one to understand it...