Search This Blog

Sunday, December 14, 2008

I need an eraser


Today wasn't so cold – outside. Inside my mind, it was in the 40s – chilly. My mind seemed unsettled. Not about anything in particular, just unsettled.

I had to read a research report by the United States Department of Education. On the surface it seemed that the report was giving contradictory results. That's a little unsettling. The report was saying that there was no impact after three years and 3 billion dollars on reading comprehension in Reading First schools. 3 billion dollars for nothing is a bit unsettling. It wasn't my money, but still. It was just another of those government ideas that something would work – Ha! it didn't.

Also, by virtue of the fact that I was reading the report for a meeting that is not in my area is another reason for the unsettled mind. One of the supervisors for that area could easily think I was putting my mind in her business, a place it didn't belong. She just spent a quarter of a million dollars for a reading academy by the very people who were the subject of the report. Their methods didn't work. She might not be willing to see it that way considering she spent a good bit of time and money in these methods.

And then there is the funeral I went to today. Funerals are usually a bit unsettling. They bring back memories that leave me absolutely speechless, silent because I have still not made 100% sense out of losing my own son to this world.

The list goes on throughout the day of the unsettling events. But I'll sleep tonight. It's usually good to do so because it erases the way the events of the day have arranged themselves and begins a new arrangement on the following day. Tomorrow will bring a new turn of events, and I'm glad for that.

No comments: