Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Cut the gyrations

Gyrations is a lovely word.  Its meaning can be applied to a number of situations.  Game playing is among them.  By game playing, I mean that people don't really say and do what is in their best interests or the best interests of those entrusted to them.  Instead, image is everything.  So, people present pictures of themselves or their children that don't match any sort of reality (or only partially match).  They go through such gyrations to throw people off the real track or to enhance the unauthentic picture.

Recently, I was around someone who has known me since college.  The person decided to make some statements for image's sake that didn't fully represent what I stand for.  In the past, I would have merely stood by and let this person say things, but time was up.  I reacted by saying that the person's statement was inaccurate and gave a fuller accounting of what I represent.  The people witnessing the reaction became immediately uncomfortable when a spade was called a spade because they too have let this other person's rants go unchecked.  So, they acknowledged their discomfort level about the interchange and switched the subject.

It is the better part of wisdom to pick battles carefully, but sometimes one has to dismantle the gyrations going on and speak undiluted words about a matter so that a false image does not result.  And it's refreshing to me to be liberated from or to thwart the propaganda people use to further themselves or to denigrate me.  So totally liberating.  And the other person knew to speak truth when continuing to comment about others.  You might call that a win/win.

No comments: