Search This Blog

Saturday, November 03, 2012

It'll be just fine

Inventions, discoveries, and resulting new philosophies change the world every so often.  People who lived among the saber tooth tigers, sloths, and woolly mammoths had to band together to bring one down.  Their artifact spears tell the tale.  But, then the ice age happened.  The big animals were wiped out.  So the people decided to not travel in tribes around the countryside looking for game, but to congregate up and down the banks of rivers.  Eventually, the population of the River Valley Civilizations outstripped the amount of space needed, so they spread out along the trade routes developed between the civilizations.  When writing was developed it seemed to help in making land transactions, recording epic tales, and in journaling the deeds or chronologies of their kings.  Math concepts were not far behind.  Then the heavens yielded their secrets.  Transmission of information, written and visual has most recently changed the world because paper is not necessary.  Records, therefore, are stored differently; anyone can see records with the right passcodes or if the author makes it public.  What's next?

The history of humanity has been exciting.  I would love to have been around right after the eruption of Mount Toba when the human race was reduced to under 10,000 people on the Earth's face.  I would have thought it fascinating to see how people moved about and cooperated during the last Ice Age.  I would have wanted to be present at the building of the Sphinx.  I would like to see one battle that a Roman regimen fought.  I would love to have watched King John sign the Magna Carta.  Meeting Ben Franklin would have been a pleasure.  Being a recipient of the world Steve Jobs touched has been a privilege.  Who or what will appear next?

Since the decades of my own life resemble that of humanity's ages, it means that something new and exciting is yet to come.  I would love that to happen.  I know those big changes happen only every so often.  But, surely over the next couple of decades...  I don't have a periscope, but anticipation tells me I might like it just fine.

No comments: