Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

In the path

I have never really been in the path of a hurricane on land or sea.  I intend never to be on the water at any time during a hurricane, that is certain.   I have been in the outer band range of hurricane winds and rain before.  When various hurricanes have made landfall, I have watched their paths to the east or west through newscasts and wondered how they differ from other storms.  But, today I'm sitting here in the middle of a hurricane that moved inland.

So, today I can tell you.  There's nothing in the way of bursts of winds, lightning streaking  across the length of the sky, or thunder sounding in the background like a drum  roll for half an hour.   Skies don't get dark, dark gray or purple.  None of that.

The wind is constant, not turbulent like tornadic winds, but straightline winds about 40-50 MPH. They blow without stopping.  The rain is just as constant.  It lightens, then pours, lightens again, pours, alternatingly.  It's been raining about 8 straight hours without stopping.


It's really pretty pleasant.  There is a saying in English, "Into every life some rain must fall."  Rain can fall from other types of storms, granted.  But, when this is the kind of rain that falls into one's life, then bring it.  Rain doesn't have to be bad or dreaded, nor do life's events.  I've actually had one of these "hurricane rain events" in my life.  It was really very pleasant.  Things didn't get destroyed, it was a pleasant change of weather, change of pace, a needed rejuvenation.  I didn't know how to categorize it at the time it happened.

So, let the good rain fall... and fall... and fall.

No comments: