Search This Blog

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Checking my periphera



Earlier this week I pulled out of my driveway as I usually do, not really looking at things around me, with my head turned backward making sure that nothing was behind me.  When I whipped my head around to see that the garage door was closing, I thought I saw something unexpected on the edge of the driveway where rose bushes are.  At this time of year a few leaves dangle on the thin branches in the wind, but not many.  I inched the car up a little to double-check what had flashed in my peripheral vision.

Yep, embedded near the center of the tree, appeared a beautiful, fully-formed rose.  I know - that's what rose bushes do, produce roses.  Well, it's mid-December.  Leaves barely adorn the tree to show that it's alive.  The tree is settling into latency for winter.  I hardly could believe my eyes.  I sat there staring at it to impress on my mind that what I was seeing was real.

On my return trip, I went over to the tree to inspect the rose, to touch it, to savor this most unusual moment in the middle of December.

 

I don't know why the rose was out to kiss my morning and send me on my way with a hearty, "Welcome to your great day!"  In fact, the day was a really good one.  Life's little anomalies are so pleasurable sometimes.  They're reminders that in the tedium of daily routines the best surprises jump into our day from the least expected quarters and tell us to enjoy life and the people in it, past present and future.

The rose is almost ready to drop its leaves now, but what eye candy came my way to give me an extra spring in my step.  Besides making my day, it brought to mind a time when no leaves appeared in my life.  I am eternally grateful for the beauty in the mid-December of my life you brought.

No comments: