Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2016

"Place" for learning

There is so much available on the internet that it has become a virtual world log of everything that happens (and that has happened).  It has much to offer for any profession that to ignore it would be certain death of the profession.

And if I were a student in this modern world, I would seriously consider the handicap that a schoolroom represents.  I can find anything I could possibly want to learn in the virtual world.  Some might say schoolrooms offer the teacher/student relationship as a way of providing guidance and discipline.  I would like to see a study on that because I think it is not true.  They might say that schoolrooms offer the core body of knowledge by way of a textbook as a base for progressively learning what lies at the heart of being a good American citizen.  That statement is false on its face since textbooks are the most restrictive way to learn the basics, and the discipline of the student is relied upon to read it.  And some might say schoolrooms put in place the social development necessary to relate well to others in the world.  Given the fact that the wealthy don't follow this advice, that the poor don't follow this advice, that immigrant children don't follow this advice and that military "brats" don't follow this advice, it seems narrowly applicable to middle class families who live in one place mostly.

I would seriously consider, and probably would follow a path of meaning to me so that I could accomplish my desired goals.  The internet would provide unrestricted access to my desired goals, would change as I change or as my goals would change, and would allow access to many who want the same for themselves from any country in the world.

Really, what is a schoolroom for?



No comments: