Search This Blog

Saturday, December 17, 2016

A little understanding goes a long way

"Sheesh UPS AND USPS I know your busy but you could have rang the doorbell so I knew my stuff was here."          
(Written by a doctor of pharmocology working as a pharmacist, graduate of Oklahoma University, age 31)

The above was a caption written to a picture of boxes delivered and stacked next to this person's front door.

I learned in school that any generation could change the language to fit their needs and preferences.  There is no amount of cajoling (or grade punishment in school) that will change what a generation decides to do with the language they speak. 

I went to school in the 20th century.  My English is different from the people who learned their English in the 21st century in certain usages for pronouns and verbs (and a few other items) as exhibited in the quotation above.  I don't lament the differences.  I know what is inevitable.  The principle of language change is continuous and constant.  After all, I really wouldn't want to read Chaucer's Canterbury Tales in the English of that day.  (Line 1 - Whan that aprill with his shoures soote, 1387 C.E.).

If I live to see my great grandchildren, I know they will add some nuances of their generation to the language.  And, if I wake up in two hundred years from now, I would probably struggle to keep up with the conversation.



All of this is to say that we don't have to like or accept change in any facet of life.  But we do have to recognize differences and causes.  A lack of that makes us arrogant or bitter or both.  It seems a more satisfying principle to acknowledge or understand diversity.


No comments: