Search This Blog

Sunday, July 23, 2017

It really has happened already

I saw a Facebook picture of a long-standing colleague of mine in a bookstore.  The picture was an ad for Half-Price Books.  I thought it was really unusual for this friend to be in such an ad.  She and I were going to co-write a book at one time back in the year 2000 about the coming decade's effect on reading and writing.  We both thought that all the new technology would have a ravaging effect on reading and writing.  Unfortunately, her life led her in a different direction from our task in writing that book.  But, she has since received her doctorate in education and is currently a principal in a high school in the North Texas area.  Conversations with her between the year 2000 and now have shown me that she hasn't changed her mind from the days when we were mapping out chapters to write of the coming demise of reading and writing.

So, I thought it strange to be perusing through my Facebook images and see my friend's picture advertising a book store.  I just wrote one word in my comment on her picture.  Books? 

Her answer confirmed what we all know to be true 17 years past that millennial year of planning.  Really, Barnes and Noble developed the Kindle just to stay in the game.  But they, like all the others, know what the end game is for reading.  If you walk into a modern Barnes and Noble, you will see the number of aisles dedicated to books have dwindled.  So, that is why my friend's response to my comment was something that made me reply with You know I'm going to have to write a blog about this. LOL. 

She really had not changed her stance on reading and writing.  Half-Price Books needed all the advertising help they could get, even having a good doctor of education pose beside its name in exchange for a discount on a couple of old LPs she was purchasing - music, not even books.  I'm still laughing.

No comments: