Search This Blog

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Night light

My morning walking path is in a park. The park has a cement path that encircles the center of it. On the outside of the park, strategically placed, are street lights. So, it is a safe place to walk. The last 2 days fog descended into the park in the early morning hours. It is a work of beauty. As I circularly walked on those days, the mist gently hit my face, the fog shrouded the far side of the park so that I could see about only 50 yards, and the street lights shone on the ground in a ring of about a 20-yard radius. Simply beautiful.

The ring of light was also intriguing. As I would come up on the light, the light would be surrounded by darkness, but inside the ring of light, no darkness existed. I shared the thought written about the Son of Man by someone close to him. Some of his opening words to a book he wrote contain, "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has never overpowered it." Those are powerful words when you see so beautifully illustrated in the scene around you a light shining in the fog, mist, and darkness, brilliantly and invitingly, with the darkness unable to penetrate a single ray of that 20-yard radius of light. To me the message is plain: the Son of Man's teachings are worth following—they light my path and lead me through darkness from this life into the next.

No comments: