Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Redefining community

Try as I may, I can't bring myself to waste my time on speeches that reiterate time and again the points of a story which is itself repeated for the 100th time. I see that the idea of community is one of the recurring themes in Paul's letters of the New Testament. But, I don't see the same in the gospels. Perhaps one could contend that Paul is the next step in the evolution of Christianity. First a Messiah would come; then, a traveling evangelist would take the next leg of the journey to spread the message of the Messiah. Perhaps. If not, then each successive generation to Jesus' has the right to interpret the Messiah's message for itself. The idea of community disappears or at least changes shapes into something useful in the society.

So, I need not be bitter about some lame activity I have convinced myself I should avail myself of. Instead, I need to be ecstatic about a message that enables me to live decently in my work community or my circle of friends after work or my children's friends. Although I have been brainwashed to hear speeches that reiterate time and again the points of a story which is repeated itself for the 100th time, I have hit saturation point. I want to shout, "NO MORE!"

No comments: