Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Getting off my duff

Doing nothing feels good on occasion. But I have had those stretches of days when I tried to sit around, not doing any physical labor, getting so bored with TV that I couldn't take another second of the small screen. I couldn't sleep because I wasn't tired and I just wanted to have the life of Riley. But the reason doing nothing feels good is that I am resting from my labor.

This concept is at the heart of a play on words by Paul. In two back to back verses (11 and 12) of 2nd Thessalonians chapter 3, the writer shows an attitude toward those who are living "undisciplined" lives among the Christians. In verse 11 he says that these undisciplined people are not working, yet they are working hard at doing absolutely nothing. The writer's disdain is easily discernible. In verse 12, he "urges and encourages such irresponsible people... to eat their own bread, but only after they rest from working." Sarcasm characterizes the writer's attitude here.

Perhaps the distaste that the writer expresses here is something we should take note of. I think most people do work for a living without trying to leach off of someone else. However, I think all people have areas in which they are negligent. Maybe one should hear this passage say, "Get up off your duff and accomplish something in the area in which we know we are remiss." If one hears disdain and sarcasm for doing nothing in an area he knows that he should be productive in due to a gift from God or in an area in which he has been given an opportunity, then maybe one should not have peace in his spirit, but turmoil as a sign that he should get off his duff.

Fortuantely, the chapter closes with an appeal to Jesus or God, "May the Lord of peace himself grant you peace all the time in every way." I personally take this to heart. If I find myself not able to enjoy this wish, then I try to figure out a reason why I don't have peace. Usually I can restore my peace by getting off my duff and doing what God has set before me to do.

No comments: