Search This Blog

Saturday, February 04, 2006

"Much virtue in grandfathers"

Once I saw mountains angry,
And ranged in battle-front.
Against them stood a little man;
Aye, he was no bigger than my finger.
I laughed, and spoke to one near me,
"Will he prevail?"
"Surely," replied this other;
"His grandfathers beat them many times."
Then did I see much virtue in grandfathers,—
At least, for the little man
Who stood against the mountains.

Stephen Crane

There have been a number of occasions when a circumstance arose that I have thought of my father and how he would have handled a situation or would have commented on how I handled a situation. I was blessed to have him around 77 years. His comments and vivid images still invade my conscious awareness on important occasions. Just such an occasion is leading a class on Sunday mornings. Dad approached leading a class with the idea that everyone would benefit and we would feel unified in spirit as believers. In the past leading a class meant something different to me. I'm sure people spoke to each other saying, "Do you think he will ever conquer never including the spirit of unity in his leadings?" And I hope that God spoke to their hearts saying, "He'll come around. His father was all about unity in Christ." I thank God for his sticking with me through the years allowing me time to see much virtue in (grand)fathers, at least for me, a little man who stood against the mountain of detachment from family.

No comments: