Search This Blog

Sunday, May 21, 2006

An evening for the heart

I had a great spiritual experience. But, it wasn't church and it wasn't even Sunday. I went to a friend's wedding. It was held at an Episcopal church, so it was very different from the protestant church I go to. During the wedding, as a part of the ceremony, the wedding party and the rest of the attendees shared the eucharist. It was a very meaningful part of the service and always in a non-Sunday communion I am made to meditate on things near to my heart. The liturgy was outstanding, and they had two women read the scriptures for the wedding. And I always think it's good to include the Song of Songs at a wedding ceremony, and this one had a section from that book in it.

At the wedding reception afterwards, all went well, and I got to visit with a friend who had come from Mexico and another linguistic buddy. But, at the very end, one of the ladies who had read scripture came over to me and touched my arm. She told me that she could tell from touching my arm that I had more to me than people see, that there was more under the surface than people knew about. My friend said, "I think you just received a prophetic utterance." I said, "Yes I did."

I don't know what the significance of the lady's telling me that was. Perhaps for personal encouragement, perhaps for some other reason. No doubt it left me pondering. But, the whole evening fed my soul with all that happened.

No comments: