Search This Blog

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Treasures all around


Recently, my aunt contracted a disease. It ravaged her body for about a year. Her treasure was stored for the life after this one, so last week she departed this life for her treasure. I am glad for her.

I have a friend with whom I take an annual trip. He recently called to relate some details of the trip that is coming up. These trips are treasures for me. They allow me to be with someone who knows me over a long period of time. All the conversation is honest talk. They help me steer the course through life just that much better.

I recently got to be with my family. We all live in far-flung towns and have work and schedules, so it is always a treasure when we get to be together on occasion through the year, but this particular gathering was heartwarming because all the plans and ambitions that we have expressed to each other through the years have begun to be realized by each one of us. It was an invigorating time.

Other special people become treasures in my life. They make me feel as if I live in the land of Xanadu, the lovely, tranquil paradise described in Coleridge's poem by the same name (although many people call the poem Kublai Kahn). There, rivers wind through lush scenery, waterfalls spray mist, the greenery of life is everywhere to be seen.

Life can be negative and harsh without a doubt, but I don't have to look far to see treasures in the people that surround me to shut out the otherwise austere environment.

No comments: