Search This Blog

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sharing time & space


There's nothing more important than being there. That's the opening line from the Amica Insurance Company commerical seen on TV. I know the truth of this statement. My daughter had a wreck recently and I was not there. I was out of town. Of course, she understood, but she had called me to come to the scene of the accident. How disappointing for both of us when in a moment of need, I was not available.

But, that incident brings up another idea. That even though someone can be out of town, being there is not always a physical matter. Sometimes it is a mental matter. Someone can be allowed to have a place inside the mind or the heart. In that way being there is perennial. There's no end to it like there is to being gone physically from somewhere or someone.

I know that concept is as old as the hills. It appears in literature through the ages. When people came from distant lands to inhabit some new land, they brought their values with them because those values lived in the new inhabitants' minds all through their long journey. And when people had to be away from the ones they loved for extended periods of time, the loved ones would live in the heart and soul of each other.

It may be an old concept, but it still makes me warm when my mind recalls a face or feels a presence from within when I am out of town. Of course, it's easy today to also send and receive digital pictures. So, if I ever receive one of those digital pictures when I am not with someone in addition to the warmth from from the mind's eye and the inner sensation, I go from warm to breaking into a sweat in no time flat because it is still true that there's nothing more important than being there.

No comments: