Search This Blog

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Stretched

I saw this caption on a poster on Facebook today.  "All in all, today was a fine apocalypse."

I love this caption because it captured the irony of some disastrously predicted day with the calmness of the actual day.  I guess it's the contrast that I appreciate.

And that gets me to thinking about other contrasts that I see regularly.  I see contrasts in my daughter and my daughter's daughter.  I see contrasts between my mother's life and the life I have carved out for myself.  I see the difference between the life of my own siblings and my own.  Given our common background, our lives many years later are so different from each other, not merely in personality.

And then there is the contrast of who I was before 2009 and after.  I had resigned myself to a rather minimal existence.  Since then, it's been a fine apocalypse (which translated from Greek  means something hidden being revealed, a disclosure of something not known before).  Call it broadened horizons.




No comments: