Search This Blog

Sunday, December 08, 2013

About a half hour more


"How much longer, Dad?"

"Not long." he'd reply. "It's about a half hour more.  Right up here around the next bend or so."  Then he would chuckle, knowing it was one of those routines he would be remembered by and knowing the trip would be enjoyable even if the trip didn't end in about a half hour.

Two bends later I would ask, "I thought you said about a half hour more."

"I guess it was a little farther than I thought," Dad replied.

That was Dad's standard answer no matter what trip we were taking, long or short.  Then, I had a son. Yep, I had the same conversation.

The conversation has really been a good primer for life.  No one knows exactly how far it is to the next goal or chance to make things better.  It helps the pacing if you tell yourself it is only a half hour more.  Plus, it's an approximation in case you don't exactly reach your goal according to the timing you had set or reach it at all. Life has a lot to do with timing.

Really it didn't matter if we made the trip end in a half hour or not.  We always got there and enjoyed it after we did.  And with life...  Yes, I enjoy the trip  usually and the time after the next mile marker has been achieved.

I have a few more half hours left... and more laughter I am sure.

No comments: