Search This Blog

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Be careful, Poppy

I was walking out the front door for work the other day with my granddaughter right behind me.  She was wishing me a good day and was going to close the door behind me as I left.  It was one of those very cherished moments grandparents get once in a while.  She looked up and told me as I was heading for my car.  "Be careful, Poppy.  Don't step in the poop."  One day she had stepped in dog poop in the front lawn.  So, she was warning me about it.


I chuckled and told her I would be careful and then left.  As I reflected on that interchange, I chuckled again, but I also thought that it was a great metaphor for the day.  Every day there are times when I am not paying attention to the ground I step on, metaphorically, the time that passes by.  So, occasionally something is said or done that affects me that I should have seen coming or that I could have avoided if I had been paying attention.

So my granddaughter of 3 years had some good advice for me.  Whenever, I don't look down and step on gum or poop, I always just shake my head, offer one of those common expletives, and then comment on how I wished that hadn't happened.  Yep, it's great advice as I leave for the day - each day, as a matter of fact - Be careful, don't step in the poop.

No comments: