Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

A trip through languageland

I received a call from my friend and scholar buddy today.  It's always a pleasure to speak to him.  We mainly talked about, as we do each time he calls, his endeavors in his field - his conferences, papers, courses, etc.  So we talked today about those and his newest project.

Recently, I heard that one of the professors at a local theological seminary had dubbed my friend the best Greek scholar in the area.  Hmmm, I thought.  The next time we speak, I'll just check out whether I can keep up with him in a discussion or not.  Today was this next time.


We talked about his newest project and his upcoming class in the Fall semester.  In particular, we talked a while about the discourse structure of the Greek works he was teaching.  Nice.  I always learn a thing or two from such conversations.  Once in a while, I get to throw in something so that it looks like I have a contribution to make.  We differ mostly differ in the online tools we use and in the authorities that have been in our backgrounds.  But, we mainly enjoy comparing notes from our different approaches to language.

By the time we finished, we had touched on the nature of tone in indigenous African languages, the Hasa language, the Pame/Xixuay language, Greek, Spanish, and English.  It was a nice little trip... and, I didn't fare so poorly I'm glad to report.

No comments: