Search This Blog

Friday, July 31, 2015

A decade reflection


I'm sitting by dim lamp light at a table in a mountain cabin far away from the 100 degree weather of my hometown.  I can hear the stream babbling by the cabin just 20 yards from the front door.  Windows are open letting in the fresh mountain air that makes for good sleeping.  The canyon I'm staying in is quiet.  It's blue moon night, so I can really say that I was away in the mountains once, in  a blue moon.  The sides of the mountains on either side of the cabin are invisible because the darkness outside is so black.

I like being comfortable, relaxed, hidden, unbidden, and off the beaten path.  Many people call it being off the grid.  I wouldn't since I have internet access, but at least I don't access the internet unless I want to.  It's not a necessity here.

My mind certainly clears when here.  The last time I was here was 10 years ago.  The English saying is "What a difference a year makes."  Now if I extend that by ten times - what an immense difference 10 years makes.  So, I have taken the time to review the last ten years while I have been here.  The decade started in a desert area and ended in a metropolitan area.  I am gainfully employed for only half the amount of time now than I was 10 years ago.  My outlook on life has changed fairly radically.  I had a middle of the road kind of philosophy that swerved to the left on most issues.  My beliefs about religion, politics, and work day issues have mostly changed by almost 180 degrees.

The saying is that the only constant in the world is change.  It's true.  Raise any issue, such as marriage, raising teenagers, managing money, working, or vacationing, and I can tell you what a departure my words would be now compared to 10 years ago.  Things solidified for me a little over 5 years ago.  It hasn't been the same since.  I have a good life, an acceptable life - not always what I have wanted, but what I can live with.  The last 10 years could have been better, but they could certainly have been worse.  The thing I wanted most in life didn't happen during this period, but wanting something and getting it are two different matters.

I need to live in both the literal and figurative place where waking up each morning is worth it.  I have reached that place.  And sitting here by dim lamp light at a mountain cabin table far away from 100 degree weather drives home these thoughts.

No comments: