Search This Blog

Friday, February 20, 2009

Grand calls, plans, and plodding


Once in a while, I see that certain people are prepared for a certain moment in time. Mordecai's famous words to Esther from the book by the same name are, "If you don't go before the king, God will rescue his people from another quarter, but who knows but that you have come to this kingdom for exactly this moment." Of course the Son of Man knew his timing and place. He told his followers on several occasions. John wrote in retrospect of these conversations, "He knew where he was from and where he was going." And a few chapters later John wrote the statement from Jesus' lips from the trial, "I have come for one purpose, to speak truth." In the Old Testament apocrypha, in Judith, the main character, Judith, knew that she was the one to deliver her people from the hand of the enemy when the city elders caved in to the demands of the Persians. So, she willingly accepted her role.

I suppose that is why people say that God has a plan for their lives. I think God has a plan. I think God helps people fit into his plan as they become willing to do so. But, I'm not so strong on the plan for my life part. Some people, yes, have moments when God has called their numbers. They're center-stage. Others, like me, don't ever hear their number called, unless it hasn't happened yet. I'll write another blog when this occurs. In retrospect of my life, I see that on occasion The Maker of destinies has said, "Yes," or "No" to some of my desires. But, that seems to be different from the grand call or the plan for my life.

I'm still breathing, so I guess I could have an epiphany about my plan. In the meantime, I will plod along doing what I can to follow the teachings of the Son of Man. His role after all was to tell truth.

No comments: