Search This Blog

Friday, February 27, 2009

Humility 101 for the 1 millionth time


I just got back from a conference. It was better than expected. One of the tidbits of learning I came away with was a quotation from Heraclitus (6th century BCE Greek). He stated in his one extant work, "the path for the way up is the same path as the one for the way down." My immediate reaction was, "H-m-m-m, I'll have to ponder that one for a while."

Now I've pondered. That's a rather startling statement since a person can't really tell whether he or she is on the way up or down. We might think we're on the way up, but if we are disoriented, we're really on the way down. I think that's the point though. If we can't tell which way is up or down, then we shouldn't be so pompous in our daily walks. Of course, the words were hollow coming from Heraclitus since he was from a very wealthy and influential family.

But, as arrogant as Americans are, I guess it seems a little hollow that I would even reflect on the passage myself. I was in a session tonight trying to teach a 9th grader how to write an essay. One of the comments I make to students learning to write is to lose the arrogance that Americans have and learn to proofread. Not everything that rolls off the lips, comes out the tip of the pen, or flashes across the mind is worthy of remaining unrevised.

Just when I think I have learned the lesson well from experience, I seem to take two steps backward. I did that even today. I thought I would take a risk, said something, and then realized that it was arrogant of me to even have had a thought like that cross my mind. So I say to myself, "Physician heal thyself." Tomorrow will be a new day, and hopefully, a less pompous day.

No comments: