Search This Blog

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Literalism doesn't inspire me

Generally, when people talk to me of heaven, I don't have a picture in my mind because I don't believe that a picture of heaven is painted anywhere on the pages of the sacred book. So, when one of my favorite people began giving accolades to a book called "Heaven," it was hard for me to get as excited as this person wanted me to be. But, I read excerpts here and there in the opening stages of the book because that is where the premise was set out on how the author knew so much about heaven.





I saw right away that the author's view of the sacred book was derived from a literal view and from a view that allows Old Testament passages to be put right alongside New Testament passages without regard for original context. One of the conclusions from one of the chapters was that we would be staying on the earth, a new earth granted, but the earth nonetheless. I don't know why we would need a new earth, but literalists don't seem to question much. They seem to merely take what is said and try to make the best of an explanation. Oh, and yes, a new heaven came with the new earth. No explanation on why a new heaven was needed either.

For me, just because one would be in the presence of the Creator is a good reason to desire to be "in heaven." And, I would get to be with those who have preceded me to heaven. That's another good reason to be there. But as to its appearance after I'm there or its allure to those who fear its alternative or want the image of golden streets, pearly gates,etc. or need the structure of a new earth inhabited by Christians and governed by the Son of God, I have no idea why they feel such a compunction to concoct unnecessary inferences. The Son of Man chose not to disclose any of its treasures or secrets, so I'm wondering how a human could write such an assertive position over 200 pages long on a matter not discussed by the one who came from there and promised to return to take us where he is.

So although my excitement over the book "Heaven" won't be seen in my demeanor, my desire to be taken to the place where my loved ones reside and to ride there with the one who will return for me runs deep and emits a tranquil aura around my face and a long-abiding belief in my core. I don't need a modern fabrication (book). I only need the original assurance that this will happen. No kaleidoscope picture of passages have to be cut and pasted into some fanciful mosaic, just an assurance noted from the lips of the one who will return. Then I'm satisfied and truly excited.

No comments: