Search This Blog

Monday, May 18, 2009

Images of a night vision


I was visiting with a friend tonight.  He doesn't live in the English world, so he hasn't had exposure to the creativity and the wit that writers and poets have.  We were speaking about imagery in particular although we were not using that word.  Imagery is one of the coins of currency writers have in their coin purse.  They use it at will and don't hesitate to use it whenever they can because they know they have to captiviate readers.  My friend was in doubt that people could create images without an underlying experience.  I dedicate the lines below to my friend Billy to assure him that people do indeed write creative images without having to have the experience.  This one is a beautiful image of how people feel when they are not heard like the hippies felt during the Vietnam War era. 

Simon and Garfunkel
The Sounds of Silence
(Verse one about a light splitting the night with a vision)

Verses 2 and 3
In the naked light I saw
10,000 people maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share
No one dare disturb the sound of silence

"Fools," said I, "You do not know
Silence like a cancer grows
Hear my words that I might teach you
Take my arms that I might reach you."
But my words like silent rain drops fell
And Echoed in the well of silence

No comments: