Search This Blog

Friday, June 05, 2009

Reminders


I'm sitting in a town different from where I live. It's a nice town and I'm here to give tribute to the daughter of someone who really helped in a time of need. I don't mind being here at all.

Beside me on the table is a cap I wear at home, however. It reminds me of where I wear it around my hometown. Just looking at it reminds me of the home scene although I am a considerable distance from the sights and sounds that make the cap come alive.

I suppose we all have those special memories to make us know where we have been and what is important to us. We don't have to be in a place. We just have to see the place in the mind's eye, or hear the voice, or remember the features of a face.

Memories keep us grounded. They tell us that while we are about our business, there's something in the background that is always important, that will always keep us coming back home. Like the ball cap, remembering the place, or the voice, or the face, gives us the vicarious experience to keep the memory alive and to allow us to take care of the temporary business at hand. After the business is completed, those memories turn our feet toward home again every time.

No comments: