Search This Blog

Sunday, July 12, 2009

It takes some motion to get where you're going


I have never really traveled anywhere for 30 hours. So, when I boarded a train in Chicago headed for Whitefish, Montana, I didn't really know what to expect. I've been on glass bottom boats in small places. I have been on plane rides for 4 1/2 hours, I have been on 24-hour car trips. But I have never traveled by Amtrak for 30 hours - 30 hours of non-stop motion.

I rather enjoyed not driving. Riding a train was somewhat like having a chauffeur. I have slept in moving cars before, so it is not a big deal to sleep in motion. I have eaten in Reunion Tower in Dallas that rotates while you eat, so eating in motion was not a first either. But, here it is a couple of hours after getting off the train, and I still feel the motion going on. It is not making me sick. It's just making me feel as if I am still on a merry-go-round. It's a wild feeling. I sure hope to sleep it off.

The 30 hours was worth the motion, however, because it brought me to a beautiful place to lay my head for the night. Tonight I am sleeping in paradise. It's a superbly manicured ski lodge with a tennis court and golf course beside it. Pine trees and flowers are everywhere. The scent of the mountains, of aspen and pine welcome me here. If anything can make the motion go away, it would be the paradise of a mountain resort. Just loving it. Tomorrow will bring us closer to the heart of the rugged Rocky Mountains. The 30-hour train ride will be in oblivion after that.

No comments: