Search This Blog

Sunday, July 05, 2009

Time is tricky


A Science channel special ran during the spring that had several episodes on the concept of time. I saw 3 of 5. They were very interesting treatments of the subject. They always get me to thinking.

This last weekend something happened where time seemed suspended for some of the moments. At other times, it seemed that time was dragging by. And as the weekend closed, it seemed full of anticipation. Time is tricky like that. And since we live in time as fish live in water, we have to deal with the kind of time we are surrounded by. Fish live in water, but sometimes the water is different around the fish. Some of it warm, then cold on occasion. Sometimes it is stagnant, and at other times it is filled with swift-moving currents. Sometimes it is polluted and at other times, crystal pure. Fish have learned to navigate all types of different waters.

So, I guess there is a lesson in there for me. Time lapses differently around me. Sometimes, I love the time I spend, and sometimes I dread the time I spend. If I am anticipating something happening, say an email that would brighten my day, time creeps by until I receive it. At other times I can view something coming up, say a place I didn't exactly want to go but did anyway, then time stands still. But sometimes, when I know something is about to end, time seems to gain momentum. This whole gamut of feeling time was just this weekend. I won't ever say again that time is evenly distributed down a continuum. That's not true even on the Science specials.

That makes it more important to me to fill time with special events, special people. They affect how time lapses around me. I want many moments to be filled with delight.

No comments: