Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A string of adjectives and still true



In English adjectives describe nouns. That means that when you think of a person, place, object, or idea, you can alter the noun by making it more specific. Three types of specifying are allowable. You can tell how many of the noun you have, what kind of noun you have, or which noun you have. If you take an object, rainbows for example, you can tell that there is one or four rainbows; you can say that it is a full rainbow or a partial rainbow; or you can say if it is a brilliant rainbow or a faint rainbow. It's easy to know what is being said about a noun. Simple enough!



I remember a time when I was driving to a professional development session and meeting other presenters there. One of them mentioned seeing the rainbow that I had seen as well. So, we talked about it for a moment. The very next day I saw the rainbow in the sky again about the same time of day. I mentioned that to the person I had been discussing the previous day's rainbow with.



I haven't seen a rainbow in quite some time, maybe not even since that time two years ago. But I came across a cache of rainbow pictures today, and I was reminded of how adjectives work.

I was looking at beautiful, many-splendored, vibrant, cheerful, perfectly-arched rainbows.

And they still hold the same symbolism as the day we were talking about them with each other. Loved those two rainbows. Love what they represented!



And I received a double portion. Love that best of all, and it is still true!

No comments: