Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2011

The substance box


Magazines adopted the practice for a while of capturing the substance of an a page in an inset box, bolding the print, and increasing the font so that everyone would know the heart or central thought of what was on that page. Soon religious and self-help books, pamphlets, and technical articles began doing that as well. That style of capturing the heart of the matter being read lasted for a decade and a half before it began tapering off. But, a number of magazines still do that.

I find myself being silent these days in conversations when I am among those who don't share any common interests or I am not among friends. I wish that I had a set of boxes that had the substance of what I am about in them. Then all I would have to do is pull one out and let people read it. If they wanted to stay around and talk about that, they would be welcome to do so. Otherwise, they would save themselves a lot of breath by reading the box, then deciding to converse with someone else who might share their common interests.

No comments: