Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My lot is through a lens


The History Channel has been running a special program on the search for life on Mars for the last 9 months. It's an interesting documentary. They talk about the history of Mars in which one era had the right ingredients for life. It has long, long since disappeared. They talked of the images on Mars' surface. It appears that traceable channels and lake boundaries still exist there on the planet. But, the most compelling evidence comes from readouts of methane gas on Mars, which indicates that organisms that make methane gas could have or still do exist on Mars.

I would love to be able to take a vacation on Mars (even the moon for that matter), but I don't think that will happen in my lifetime. I would love to live on the moon or Mars in a colony before settlement takes place on either body. But, that would happen only toward the end of my lifetime. So, I look from Earth through telescopic lenses presented on television and on the internet at a celestial body that I would really like to inhabit and dream of what could have been had I been born a generation or two from my location in history. Life tantalizes us like that. But, it keeps us young in mind to explore and dream and wish.

No comments: