Search This Blog

Friday, May 27, 2011

Truth in proverbs


There is a saying in America that patience is a virtue. I have seen that the platitude is true. Another saying follows on its heels, "Good things come to those who wait." Waiting and patience go hand in hand sometimes even if they are not equivalent terms . Another adage close in meaning to the above two is that something or someone is worth waiting for. This, of course, doesn't happen often, which is why there is a proverb capturing its truth.

These three proverbs work closely together. If something or someone was worth waiting for, then of course, something good would come from waiting, and patience would have been a virtue in that situation. I have been told I am patient. Maybe that's true. If so, then it's a virtue. It would mean that I have the ability to wait for something or someone... a moot point, of course, if I had not ever thought or said that something or someone would be worth waiting for. But it is not a moot point for I have thought and said that. It is the truest thing I have ever said.

No comments: