Search This Blog

Friday, October 28, 2011

Behind the username

I saw this email address today: empty_perspective@____.com.  I don't know what the person had in mind; I could only guess.  At first, besides thinking the address odd, I thought the address was sad.  It looked like someone had nothing to offer.  Then again, the person might have thought (s)he was a blank slate, tabula rasa, waiting to be filled.  Or maybe the person wanted to claim neutrality and didn't want to side with any particular perspective.  I have no idea.  I have chosen usernames before for email accounts.  That is not one I would ever adopt.   I am left to wonder about what kind of person wants to be known by empty_perspective.

Email addresses usually indicate some trait about a person that the person wants to tout or be known by. Some monikers people choose are not traits but just something meaningful.   Some fit the attitudes of the people making them up.  Some monikers are memorable for one reason or another.  And then there are special ones for the people they represent, among them, THEspec1@___.com.  That one never gets lost in cyberspace.

No comments: