Search This Blog

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Doubling what I know

My college roommate came to town last week, so we met for lunch.  We were comparing some of the experiences we had had with our children and some of our philosophy on raising them, given certain situations.  I made some comment, I don't remember what it was at this point, and he just laughed and said, "You really only know something about one thing in life and this is really not it."  We both just laughed.

But I get to thinking how true his comment really was.  And the irony is that that one thing I know something about has rarely appeared on my agenda in life.  It was not something that I really knew about until my 40s (so most of my life, I didn't know something about one thing.  I guess I knew nothing about everything), so I have spent most of my life knowing nothing.  I guess that is a point of humor.  I probably shouldn't have laughed about knowing nothing.

Of course, my roommate knew me before I knew anything at all, so he's qualified to make such an observation.  And, he has never wandered onto the one subject I might know something about.  So, it's only hearsay to him that I might have gained knowledge of one thing.  There's a comfort being around him.  He has known me in every stage of life from college onward, probably through 5 distinct stages.  But, he's knowledgeable about one thing in life too (it's a different thing).  So, we're even and it's no wonder that we were laughing about raising our children.  We didn't really know what we were doing.  Now, I have two things in life I'm relatively sure about.

No comments: