Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Old word - new application

Ancient Greek has a word for setting things aside because they are special.  I like this word because it allows me to express the very special place a group of pictures has for me.  I have albums and albums of pictures.  Some are important because they are old and contain my college experience.  Some are put in albums because they represent firsts in life, such as first child or first birthday or first bike ride.  Some have been kept because they simply chart the journey of life.  But, there is a group of pictures totally set aside for special remembrance.  If I spoke ancient Greek, I would apply this word for setting aside something special in this circumstance.  The group of pictures is not a closed set.  I just added a few more to it in the last couple of days.

Religion has translated this word as either holy or sacred.  Their translation and subsequent application of the Greek word takes it out of its natural context and distorts its meaning, or at least specializes the meaning to an extent not intended.  The semantics might include the idea of "special" and "other," but not the many other attributes conjured by religion for holy and sacred.

But misuse of the principles of translation doesn't deter me from assigning this Greek word to my very, very special pictures that I have placed in their own category.  Agios works for me whenever I ponder, gaze, study, and otherwise simply enjoy looking at these pictures - over and over, time and again.

No comments: