Search This Blog

Monday, September 24, 2012

Backstory

Everyone has a story.  It doesn't take long in life to realize that everyone has faced adversity and overcome some kind of obstacle.  Adulthood makes seasoned veterans of us all.  The beauty of getting to know others is learning the backstories that season them. 

I spoke with a young man today who told me of his life outside the U.S.  It's quite a tale.  The first 17 years of his life were spent evading drug cartels just to stay alive.  Even after migrating to the U.S., he had quite an adventure.  He's lucky to be alive.  I learned more today about the tenacity of the human spirit.  I gained an esteem for someone I didn't know before.  I learned a little more how my own story fits into this world of billions.  I learned more about what kind of face I have put on and want to put on for others.  And I learned a little more appreciation for the events that combine to form the present for people, the backstory that doesn't get presented very often.

No comments: