Search This Blog

Thursday, September 06, 2012

Silent punctuation

Silence can mean a number of things.  Sometimes silence means approval, sometimes disapproval, sometimes ignorance, sometimes the stroke of brilliance.  Silence can be diplomatic or it can be the greatest snub.  It can mean that no information has been transmitted or that someone doesn't know what to do with information that has been received.  Silence interpretation always depends on context.

One thing is for sure, though.  No matter what the context is, silence always has a meaning.  People use silence when they want to noticeably make a loud statement.  My publishing side has spoken out of its silence; it wants to be resurrected.  I will accommodate that soon. 

And, other areas of life have been deathly quiet as well.  There is an interpretation for each of them.  Like punctuation gives tone to a sentence, so silence adds to the tone of these life areas.  But, the tone is troubling, so in my mind, words echo down hallways disspelling the brooding tone.  And I smile because those echoed words come from a time before the quiet, fill my head, and give me rest for the night.

No comments: