Search This Blog

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Appreciating the unusual


This morning I set out to change the battery in my Sebring since it was dead.  I found that out because I was needing to take the car to get it inspected yesterday.  I turned the key and heard not a sound.  So, I wanted to change the battery this morning and inspect the car. 

Three things, of course, took priority for the morning hours, so at 1:30 in the afternoon, I went to take the battery out and go to the parts store, exchange it, and buy a new one.  I happened to forget (because it has been two years since I last changed the battery) that the battery is not visible by raising the hood and looking into the engine.  It is somewhere hidden under the engine. 

So, I looked up on You Tube a video to show how to replace this particular battery.  It took 8 minutes to explain and show where the battery was and how to dismantle everything to get to the battery (take the front wheel off, remove the tire well cover, unscrew the tightening bar, etc. ad infinitum).  I could see that this was about a 3-day project for me because the car expert was going to take about an hour to do it.  At this point, I knew I would take it somewhere to have it changed and inspected. 

So, when I went to hook up jumper cables to the car I had parked next to the Sebring, I discovered that the battery on it was hidden beneath the engine as well.  So, I had to get my third car, pull it next to the Sebring and jump it off.  Finally, mission accomplished. 

The place I took the car to was efficient and within 30 minutes, they had the old battery out and the new one in.  Four hours had elapsed since I began the task of wanting to get my battery changed to get my car inspected. 

I asked if they were going to inspect it next.  "No," was the answer... of course... It seems that there is a new rule that if the computer running the systems of the car is disconnected before inspection, then a person has to drive roughly 80 miles for the computer to fully reset all the car's systems.  "See you Monday," the service manager waved. 

And that is how life goes usually.

I have come to appreciate the unusual days whenever they randomly happen.

No comments: