Search This Blog

Monday, September 09, 2013

Manifested sentience

Sentience doesn't surface as sentience.  It manifests itself in various forms.  Much of science is about proving what one can find evidence for.  Manifestations in various forms don't really qualify as solid, replicable evidence.  Psychology is called a soft science since it mainly deals with sentience.  I usually don't give psychology a break, but in this context I do.  How does a person describe, define, and measure something that manifests itself differently?   It's not the same as discovering something about physics that evidences itself following laws.

One of the great opportunities still available in the field of psychology is the study of personality.  People seem to be alike in so many ways, yet different in at least as many ways.  Like the genetics of a family, similar traits surface, but the nuances of difference are at least as many as the nuances of likeness are.  Yet these traits drive us to feel certain ways in reaction to our environments and the behaviors of others in that environment.  We react minute-by-minute to the events and people surrounding us.

I think of the word compatibility in connection with personality since, to me, it is the greatest manifestation of sentience.  Some people have personalities that are toxic to certain other personalities.  And, the opposite is true.  Some people have personalities that are in harmony with certain other personalities.  Of course, there are all shades of personality matches between the ends of this spectrum.  And I freely admit that the strongest manifestation of my sentience is when I have been with and around the person whose personality was the most complementary, supplementary, supportive, and propulsive to my own.  I have no science to back it up.  Maybe in a 100 more years, but not now. For the moment, I just know.  And, I relish the moments of sentience when two perfectly complementary and supplementary personalities share the same intersection of time!!!

No comments: