Search This Blog

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Yes I do

Oh my goodness.  The crowd knew all the words to his songs and sang them wildly.  All of them.  I was impressed, of course, but inspired as well.  It's so refreshing to see an entertainer woo and wow thousands of people through words that represent what they believe in.

I'm talking about the Dierks Bentley concert a week ago.  I carry his songs in my telephone and listen to them most nights before falling asleep - songs like Feel That Fire, Come a Little Closer, and Up on the Ridge.  Those particular songs recall a fantastic laugh, a cheerful voice, lots of smiles, and hope-filled eyes.  And tonight Dierks played a new song, I Hold On, from his recently released album

He set up the song by talking of people who suggested that he buy a new truck.  But, he had a truck from before his days of fame.  It had memories with his dad, who drove with him in it to Tennessee.  He would never forget that trip, and he in turn would not let go of the truck that represented that trip.  He next held up his guitar and explained that that particular guitar was the one that got him started on his road to prosperity.  It kept him centered and grounded.  It represented his roots, which he hoped he would never forget.

I understand totally the idea of that song... "I hold on to the things that keep me going strong."


I intend to keep forever three sacred belongings... a blue envelope with a card inside... a poster of three pictures with names of songs and books... and a collage of mountain pictures called A Place Within.  They keep me going strong.

I totally understand the idea of that song... "like the stripes to the flag, like a boy to his dad. I hold on"... "I hold on to the things I believe in."  And the exact memory I have of this song is one where the crowd sang wildly "I hold on" more times than the studio version of the song (because all of them knew the words, including me).  I'm thankful that night a week ago was recorded because it now plays and represents the night that brought to mind my feelings from stored symbols, my almost nightly thoughts just before drifting off...



... things I believe in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: