Search This Blog

Monday, October 14, 2013

Where the day takes you


A movie came out 20 years ago called where the day takes you.  It was a stream of consciousness movie about teenagers who had nothing really to live for.  They were merely drifting through life.  It showed them staying home from school most days of the week.  They would meet at one or the other's house to  smoke marijuana or to shoot heroine into their veins.  Several of them died.  The point of the movie was to show the absolute dejection that modern (ca. 1994) youth felt.

Today I was in my favorite Starbucks getting my usual hot chai tea latte.  I noticed a sign that was advertising some of their specialty coffees.  It read: Refreshing. Everywhere your day takes you.  My immediate thought was the association of the expression to the title of the movie that showed the utter listlessness of our youth.  But, then, I realized the sign was about me or whoever would be drinking this specialty coffee.  Whew, what a relief.  I knew I wasn't listless or dejected nor was anyone I knew.  The point of the sign was to convey that you could drink it now and later and any other time you needed a lift.  Help for your day was a sip away.  But, then, that's the same message as the movie, right?

Well, I could be depressed by drinking that specialty coffee.  Fortunately, I don't drink coffee, and my day takes me to work every day where I have a very definite purpose for being there.  I'm not drifting and dejected.  Life could be better, but it could be a whole lot worse for sure.  My nights rejuvenate me for the morning.  I wake refreshed, no matter where my day goes.  And it goes to a place I really like to work.  And it goes to my phone's MP3 app at night that plays Up on the Ridge, Come a Little Closer, Feel that Fire, Pretty Amazing Grace, Everything I Do, With or Without You, Run, Run, Run, I Hear the Sound of Your Voice, and many others selections that refresh me.  And, my day goes by the place of my dreams, too.  It goes there often.  And, it's refreshing every time I am taken there.

I'm going there now, as a matter of fact.  Refreshing. Every time I'm taken there.



Take me back.  Refreshing!!!

No comments: